Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Day 3: Harvard Crimson at New Hampshire Wildcats

Lundholm Gymnasium (capacity 3,500)
Durham, New Hampshire

The Result: Harvard 83, New Hampshire 81 (OT)
Final scores can sometimes be deceptive. Often, reporters will say a game “wasn’t as close as the final score might indicate.” But seeing “OT” next to a final score is like seeing a USDA stamp of approval—the game’s quality has been certified.

Overtimes are special. Think about all the variables and events that happen within a game, and all the forces that have to align to create a tie after 40 minutes of action. Tonight’s game in Durham, New Hampshire was special indeed, featuring 25 ties and lead changes. Both teams rallied from deficits as large as 8 and 9 points before reaching a 70-70 tie at the end of regulation.

The end of the game left you feeling bad for New Hampshire freshman Sam Herrick, who went to the line with a half-second left in OT and a chance to tie the game with two made free throws. The ultimate pressure situation—the kind all kids imagine themselves in when shooting by themselves in their driveway. (As a lad, I pretended I was playing for Notre Dame and a teammate to Kelly Tripucka.) Unfortunately Herrick missed the first, and UNH was unable to convert off his intentional miss on the second.

Venue Rating: B-
Facility: B+.
Ah, bleachers. Some places have bleachers on the floor that yield to permanently-installed seats on the next level. At Lundholm, there is no next level, just two sets of gigantic bleachers that end with the wall. And Lundholm’s are made of wood.

In my last entry, I said I liked wooden bleachers, but tonight I realized that I absolutely adore them. To the extent they’re not filled, they create a beautiful backdrop for the game’s action. And there are few sounds in life as sweet as a set of wooden bleachers being stomped on to punctuate chants or simply create noise. I reveled tonight in giving Lundholm’s bleachers a mighty pounding.

Attendance (642): D. I hate to think of the mundane alternate activities being pursued by students who chose not to attend tonight’s great game. Sure, some may have been studying, but what a shame for any of them to have missed it.

There was something unique about the fans in the student section: They were overwhelmingly female. Wooden bleachers…overtime…and surrounded by the University of New Hampshire’s better half—I felt like I had stumbled through the jungle into some kind of basketball Shangri-La.

Basketball Environment: B-. No pep band, but we had cheerleaders and a UNH mascot named “Wild E. Cat” who worked the stands for the first half but then went AWOL after the break. UNH periodically played recorded music during the time-outs. I’m not wild about that, but it wasn’t too bad until they broke out the country music. I’d have thought I would be safe from it 1,800 miles from my Texas home.

Before the game, a female student singing group did a fantastic rendition of the national anthem. (Are you taking notes, Colgate?)

Fan Face-Off: New Hampshire wins
There must have been Harvard fans at the game tonight, but I couldn’t find them. They were the least visible and vocal visitors so far.

The UNH crowd was pretty tame during the first half, but got things cooking with “de-fense” chants and nice bleacher-stomping during the seesaw second half.

I watched tonight’s game with high school friend Tim Houck, who is also giving me two nights of lodging at his place. We sat in the student section and dove into the action ourselves, though I must confess to absent-mindedly trying to initiate a “de-fense” chant while New Hampshire was on offense. (I think it was a Freudian slip as I secretly wished for the overtime that eventually came.)

Best Mascot: Crimson
Last summer, I undertook a project to memorize all 330+ Division I basketball mascots. I had always known quite a few, but decided to climb to the summit and memorize all of them. This led me to prize unique mascots, as they were easier to remember (and also give the school a more distinct identity).

“Wildcats” is shared by nine Division I teams. Mix in 13 tigers, 8 panthers, 4 lions, 3 jaguars, 2 catamounts, 4 bobcats and 3 bearcats, and the NCAA is so overgrown with cats that I’m thinking of calling Animal Control on them. “Crimson” doesn’t really have an intimidation factor, but it’s unique and does have an old-school charm that befits a 360 year old university.

Graduation Success Rate: New Hampshire by forfeit
In an act of Crimson cowardice, Harvard joins its Ivy League peers in keeping its graduation rates to itself. The Ivies may be exempted, but their failure to voluntarily report their statistics undermines their credibility as supposed leaders in higher education.

If only the Crimson were bold enough to play, they may have had a shot: New Hampshire sports a lousy 56% NCAA graduation success rate. Take your victory Wildcats, but be warned: With such a low rate, if you so much as crack a smile, I’m blowing the whistle for “excessive celebration.”

I SAW THAT!

Life on the Road
When in Rome, do as the Roman’s do. In Boston, that means enduring a painful crawl during rush hour. I drove downtown this morning to meet Mason Eubank for breakfast at the Seaport Hotel. Mason and I worked together in San Antonio and he is now with Fidelity Investments here in Boston. We had a great time catching up over french toast.

My other major activity of the day was a nap which put a dent in the sleep deficit I had built writing these accounts. Host Tim Houck and I headed for Durham in the late afternoon and enjoyed a nice dinner at Libby’s Bar & Grill. Try their “Chicken Bomb” sandwhich. It was just what I needed after subsisting on too many crackers and soft pretzels during the previous 24 hours.

Total Miles To Date: 850

Next Game: Tomorrow I head south to New Jersey and the cozy confines of Rider’s Alumni Gym, as the Broncs host the Monmouth Hawks.

2 comments:

Kevin McG said...

Brian, you rock! I really like the format and the writing sparkles. I look forward to Day 4.

Unknown said...

Brian, i can't help but wonder what a wonderful wife you must have to allow you to do this. She must be drop dead gorgeous too. Beyond that thought, I want you to know that the joy in you comes through which each sentence. Keep enjoying life to the max.
-Beers