Sunday, December 3, 2006

Day 7: Bucknell Bison vs George Mason Patriots

BB&T Classic
Verizon Center (capacity 20,000)
Washington, DC


The Result: Bucknell 60, George Mason 57
A few hours after losing to a very strong Northern Iowa team yesterday, the Bison boarded a bus and traveled three hours to Washington, D.C. Despite the travel and lack of recovery time after a hard-fought game, Bucknell earned the victory it hungered for, defeating Mason on the same court from which the Patriots advanced from the NCAA regional to the Final Four in March.

Jason Vegotsky was the team's spark plug early, nailing two three-pointers in the first three minutes of the game. Donald Brown went a perfect 6-of-6 from the floor, scored 16 points and grabbed 9 rebounds. He also had two great blocks. Philly native John Griffin added 13 points, including a huge three-pointer with two minutes left.

Venue Rating: C
There is little that is collegiate about the Verizon Center. While it is the primary home court for the Georgetown Hoyas, it's also home to Washington D.C.'s professional basketball and hockey teams. It's a big, gleaming building with dazzling lights and carpeted concourses, but I'd take an old gym with wooden bleachers over it any day.

I always take interest in the championship banners hanging from the rafters of each venue I visit. Today, eyeing Georgetown's 1984 NCAA championship banner, I was reminded of Villanova's huge upset of the Hoya's the next year. I was a high school senior living in West Chester, Pa, just 20 miles from Villanova. I'll never forget watching the Wildcat victory in my family's living room. We taped the game, and I watched it over and over. April 1, 1985 was the day my interest in college basketball became a passion.

After admiring the Georgetown banner, I spotted what are easily the most ridiculous banners I've ever seen. There are not just one but several banners honoring the WNBA's Washington Mystics for being "Attendance Champions." Strong attendance is certainly admirable, but--for crying out loud--it isn't banner-worthy.

Fan Face-Off: Bucknell Wins by One
I confess...it's hard to observe an activity when you're participating in it. More to the point, it was difficult to gauge how loud the rest of the crowd was when I was yelling my head off. The Bucknell and George Mason fans seemed roughly equal in cheering frequency and intensity. Frankly, I'm awarding it to Bucknell because I'm exuberant over our victory and feel like sharing in it here.

Todd Dowling, the student Forrest Chilton and I gave our extra tickets to yesterday, was in strong form, validating our "investment." His approach to supporting the Bison is loud, brash and civil all at the same time. When he disagrees with a call, he booms things like, "That was a terrible call, SIR!" " SIR, we beg to differ!" The "sir" is simultaneously polite and comical. Who needs profanity when you're equipped with an intelligent sense of humor?

Best Mascot: Bison
As a former Army officer, I was feeling a little uneasy about the notion of choosing something other than the "Patriots." The decision became easy, however, once I saw the costumed version of the Patriots' mascot walking around the Verizon Center floor. Nicknamed "Gunston," Mason's walk-around mascot is a furry green creature with a colonial hat. What?!

Late in the game, Dowling yelled, "We don't like your mascot!" For good measure, I added, "Send it back to Sesame Street!"

Speaking of wisecracks, as the game announcer asked us to stand for the national anthem, I noticed the Bison were on the court but the Patriots were not. The irony was too much, and I used the pre-anthem silence to bellow, "And you call yourselves PATRIOTS?!" (Listen to an audio clip of the Bucknell broadcast where you can hear me in the background!) It was a little edgy so close to the anthem, but I got it off just in time and I think I would do it again.

Graduation Success Rate: Bucknell 100%, George Mason 64%
It's tough taking on Bucknell basketball in academics. Even if you play a perfect game, the most you can accomplish is a tie. Mason's graduation record, however, is a long way from perfection.

Life on the Road
Today was all basketball, as I enjoyed two bonus games not counted in my 10 Games, 10 States, 10 Days tour. Bucknell-George Mason was the first in the BB&T Classic triple-header. Forrest Chilton and I stayed to see George Washington come from behind with seconds left to beat Virginia Tech, and Notre Dame defeat Maryland. Things got a little frosty when I was rooting for the Irish against the Terrapins Forrest has supported all his life, but I'm happy to say we're talking again.

This evening, I enjoyed some brief drive-by tourism. I've been to D.C. several times, but always enjoy its visual appeal. The Verizon Center is in downtown D.C., and the ride back to Forrest's house at night was beautiful, taking us past the Capitol Building and many of the monuments, all brilliantly lit.

Earlier, a pre-game Bucknell reception brought some special moments. First, I met Bucknell grad John Battan, who went to junior high school with my mother in West Chester. This conversation led to another revelation.

Attending a variety of games, I've come to know and like fellow Bucknell grads and Philadelphians Geoff and Bobbie Mynott. But it was not until today that they realized that my grandfather is Larry Polite, who owned and operated a regionally famous restaurant called The Guernsey Cow in Exton, Pa. Geoff had golfed with my grandfather many times, and shared a wonderful story about him.

Larry--"Big Daddy" to us grandchildren--died just a two weeks ago. Geoff and Bobbie reminded me that his memory and legacy live on.

Total Miles to Date: 2,100

Next Game: It's a short drive to Annapolis to watch Bucknell's Patriot League rival Navy host Howard (followed by a not-so-short drive to my mother's house outside Philly).

4 comments:

bison137 said...

I'm glad you were able to see a better result than vs UNI. Considering the two games in 24 hours and the bus ride, I think this was one of the most impressive Bison wins in recent years.

I'm enjoying your blog a lot. Keep up the good work.

One question (the unanswered one from the other day) - do you post on the Bison hoops message board: www.basketball-u.com. If not, why don't you check it out when you get a chance. We can definitely use more rabid fans to chat with.

Regards,

Bison137

Kevin McG said...

Another excellent account. I agree that attendance championship banners are silly. Nods to Todd for doin' it right. I was able to watch the game on Comcast Sports Net and was looking for Brian and Forrest in any crowd shots but failed to spot them. Hats off to the Bison for the short-turnaround win against last year's Final Four Cinderella.

Brian McGlinchey said...

Glad you're enjoying it, 137. Yes, I do post on the basketball-u boards, but am keeping my board ID shrouded in mystery.

Pay per Head said...

I like your WebSite hope they can continue to share the information. I would like this your website now invite you to visit our website http://www.priceperhead.com