Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Day 2: Iona Gaels at Rhode Island Rams

Thomas F. Ryan Center (capacity 7,657)
South Kingstown, Rhode Island

The Result: Rhode Island 85, Iona 60
I was pulling hard for the Gaels. After all, my 10-day adventure is really a celebration of mid-major ball, and tonight’s was the only game in the series pitting a mid-major against a major conference team. I even wore an Iona-red shirt to go with my naturally Iona-red hair.

Of course, with George Mason’s Final Four appearance and the rise of conferences like the Missouri Valley, the mid-major label is becoming vague. Rhode Island, a member of the Atlantic 14—err, I mean—10, is technically a “major” team, but the A-10 might be said to be on the “bubble” of majordom, having sent just one team to the Big Dance in 2005 and two in 2006.

When Iona’s De’Shaune Griffin hit a jumper to tie the game at 22 with 5:44 left in the first half, my hopes of a barn-burning upset soared. But the Rams responded with a blistering 17-2 run to make it a fifteen-point game at the half. Iona, missing starter Kyle Camper to a broken foot suffered in practice, wouldn’t threaten again.

Venue Rating: C
Facility: B. The Ryan Center is a modern, sparkling, brightly lit venue with sharp, clean exterior architecture. All of which is a problem. It’s a little too nice, lacking the charm of older, smellier facilities. But it earns a B for being such a well-designed, easily navigated building.

Attendance (3,164): C. Even it you take an optimistic view, the Ryan Center was only half-full. I cut them a little slack for it being an out-of-conference match-up, but a C is all I can justify.

Basketball Environment: C . Last night’s dismal fan experience at Colgate left me craving the traditional trappings of college basketball, and I wasn’t disappointed.

Pep band? Check. Chanting students? Check. Cheerleaders? Check. Dancing girls? OK, maybe they’re not so traditional, but…CHECK!

Why a C, then? The student cheering was pretty well sustained through the game, but with the low numbers in a big building, you couldn’t really say the joint was jumpin'.

Fan Face-Off: Rhode Island
This competition favors the home team, but last night Binghamton showed how a road team can pull off the upset. Tonight, there were about a dozen Iona faithful behind the bench, and it was clear they took the game very seriously, but—c’mon people—you gotta throw me a chant or two!
Rhode Island wins, carried by its students.

Best Mascot: Gaels
While the Gaels were soundly defeated on the court, they routed the Rams in mascot competition. As a mascot afficionado, I value those that are unique or at least uncommon. (Teams from St Mary’s of California also use “Gaels). In addition, “Gaels” appeals to me personally, given my Irish heritage and startlingly authentic leprechaun appearance.

Of course, we are probably just one generation away from this mascot being deemed offensive. Some fear an Orwellian future where mankind is controlled by Big Brother. Others foresee an uninhabitable world devastated by global warming. I personally dread the day all Division I teams call themselves “Golden Eagles.”

Graduation Success Rate: Iona 54%, Rhode Island 33%
The Gaels take the win, but with little to brag about. In the only 10-10-10 game pitting a mid-major against a major conference school, I’d have hoped for a blowout by Iona. They're both way too low.

Ready for Prime Time?
Iona color commentator Bill Daughtry had me on as his half-time guest to discuss my 10-10-10 adventure. Iona Assistant AD Brian Beyrer generously provided me with a ticket for a second row seat behind Iona’s bench.

Did you ever have a ticket that was too good? I had to “downgrade” myself and move up a few rows after I found I couldn’t see anything on the other side of Iona coach Jeff Ruland, a towering man who played professionally for the Washington Bullets.

Life on the Road
The drive from Hamilton, NY to Kingston, Rhode Island was a 5 ½ hour doozie. Unlike yesterday’s drive, which climaxed with a relaxing drive through farmland, today was pretty much major highways all the way. Dense fog in the western mountains of Massachusetts made driving pretty demanding for close to an hour.

As for in-car entertainment, I’m playing about two CDs per trip. I alternate music and silence, as it makes the music sweeter when I reward myself with it. Today’s albums: Squeeze’s “Singles 45 and Under” and “The Best of Blondie.”

At the game, I enjoyed nice conversation with a URI fan named John Scott. I’m close to living the ultimate lifestyle, but John may have me beat. A retired marine biologist, John sticks around Rhode Island only for the out-of-conference schedule—then he winters in the Carribean.

After the game, I drove north 90 minutes to the home of my high school chum, Tim Houck. Sometimes when you stay with friends or family, you’re in a room filled with toys, boxes, old exercise equipment. Not here. Not only does my room look like one found in an upscale bed and breakfast, it even has its own separate bathroom. Oh my!

Total Miles To Date: 670

Next Game: Harvard at New Hampshire.

No comments: